Sunday, February 15, 2009

Wow Wow Wubbzy Bounces Into Our Home

I'll admit we watch a lot of kid TV around here. While I miss watching Oprah or some other adult TV during the day, I refuse to let my girls watch commercials about Maury's shocking paternity test results show or personal injury lawyers. We stick to Noggin and Playhouse Disney, with a little PBS Kids thrown in, too.

If you haven't seen Wow Wow Wubbzy, you may not have a four year old. Cordy loves this show, and when it first came on the scene, I worried that it was a little too fluffy without much educational content to it. (Plus, the fast-paced bouncing Wubbzy can be a little overstimulating at times.) But after watching a few episodes, I realized that it was promoting a good social message about friendship and doing what's right.

I recently received a copy of the new DVD, Wow Wow Wubbzy: A Little Help from My Friends to review. The minute it came out of the package, Cordy was begging to watch it. This DVD is a collection of eight episodes, all with a focus on friendship. A few of my favorite episodes (yes, I have favorite episodes now - don't judge me) can be found on this DVD, like Mr. Cool, where Walden is taught how to be Saturday Night Fever "cool" with disasterous results. He later realizes that he only needs to be himself to be liked by others.

Cordy has problems with social interaction, and some of the lessons from Wubbzy have sunk in for her. When she realizes someone is sad, she calls it the "blooey blues" and she's learned that helping your friends can be fun.

I really like the DVD extras - if placed in your computer's DVD drive, you can access games and printable activity sheets. Both Cordy and Mira love the coloring sheets - I have yet to find a Wubbzy coloring book, but now I can print off coloring sheets as needed.

Wow Wow Wubbzy: A Little Help from My Friends is available at Amazon, currently on-sale for $11.49.

No comments: