Friday, November 28, 2008

Does Your Computer Need A Tune-Up?

My poor laptop is a workhorse. If it were a person, it would be getting hours and hours of overtime each week and taking Ritalin to deal with all of the multi-tasking I put it through. At the moment, I have six windows of Firefox open, with a total of 17 tabs displaying 17 different websites. It's no surprise, then, that the laptop is starting to show signs of wear: crashing occasionally, random errors, and a slooooow processing speed at times.

Mom Central offered me the chance to try out Norton's PC Tune-Up service, where an expert works with you remotely to make sure your computer is running as well as it should be. It's really an easy process. I called the toll-free number, and then the Norton expert walked me through the steps to set up a secure connection between his computer and mine.

I'll admit I wasn't sure how much they could do remotely, but he did find a few places where my computer was running inefficiently - mostly too many background processes running by programs that didn't need to be eating up RAM. The technician suggested several things that I already knew how to do (as a blogger, I know my way around a computer a little bit), but he did have several ideas I haven't considered before. And he was far friendlier than I expected - no "my knowledge is superior" attitude.

Since our chat, my laptop is running better and I haven't had a crash. While it's not as spry as a shiny new laptop, I'm hoping I bought myself another year or two of time before I need to consider a replacement.

If you're not computer savvy, or just aren't sure where to begin with a slow or uncooperative computer, the Norton PC Tune-Up service can assist in getting your system working with you instead of against you.

Try it out! I've got three Norton PC Tune-Up codes to give away to three separate winners. The code will give you one free tune-up for your computer. To enter, leave a comment on this post between now and December 5, 2008 at 11:59PM EST. Winners will be picked via random drawing after Dec. 6.

6 comments:

pestkaj said...

I always wonder if these tune ups will make any difference, it would be great to find out! Thanks for the contest.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to have a tune up - maybe they could determine why I can't post pictures on my blog using my laptop!

momtothescreamingmassesATgmailDOTcom

Maude Lynn said...

This sounds awesome!

kelli at pfrog dot net

Tammigirl said...

I've never heard of this before, but it sounds like something anyone could appreciate.

Mel said...

Awesome! I'm really starting to run this 2003 Dell laptop into the ground....

momsensical [at] gmail [dot] com

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid they'll just tell me to give up and start over ;)

sleepynewmommyblog [at] yahoo [dot] com