Friday, October 30, 2009

Yummie Tummie Takes On The Clingy Dress

Two weeks ago my brother-in-law got married in a beautiful ceremony filled with family and friends. My husband was a groomsman and our daughters were the jr. attendants, leaving me with no required attire for the event. I did a little shopping and found a great dress on sale at JC Penney (another American Living dress, which seems to be a trend for me) and paired it with a cute pair of black shoes that a friend had given me.

My only dilemma was my abdomen. Despite working out, it still is a little too round and lumpy for my liking. I needed something to help smooth the lumps and hold everything in a little tighter. I briefly considered trying to tug my way into my Spanx, but I didn't want to be super-squeezed the entire night. Instead I quickly reached for my other favorite shapewear, my Yummie Tummie skinny tank.

For those who haven't heard of it, Yummie Tummie is a brand of sleek shapewear that is comfortable, practical, and great for layering. While most shapewear shapes from the bottom upwards, most of the Yummie Tummie line are tops that help hold in your midriff without blocking your ability to pee. (C'mon, remember how hard it was to roll down control hose to use the bathroom, and then try to get them back in place again?) Even better, the tops are designed to control the parts that need controlling without squishing your chest into some flattened uniboob.

I was worried that the lines of the tank would show through on this very clingy dress, and once I tried the entire ensemble on I did notice the faint outline of the tank straps on my shoulders. However, when I tried the dress on without the Yummie Tummie tank, I noticed my bra straps, and the skinny tank straps aren't much wider than bra straps. There were no other seam lines noticeable. (Note: Because the dress had a low v-neckline, I did secure one tiny safety pin to the middle of the tank and the dress to make sure it didn't peek out of the dress.)

I think the proof is in the pictures:

(The vertical seam lines are part of the dress)

And for those who don't know me, know that in those photos my mid-section is much smoother than it normally is! I received several compliments on how good I looked at the wedding that night.

Pros: Overall, the Yumme Tummie skinny tank provided a gentle hold without being constricting. The fabric is smooth and feels like a second skin. I also love that despite being a shapewear garment, it fits smoothly over my hips and doesn't roll up at the bottom when I move or bend. It's also machine washable and has held up well through each washing.

Cons: I can't think of too much I don't like about this tank. If you're looking for extreme control, this isn't it. Yummie Tummie does a good job at providing moderate smoothing and hold, but if you want to lose a few inches off your mid-section, consider a corset because this isn't going to do it. It also only comes in a few colors - white, black and charcoal - although for some of us, white and black is really all we need.

I do love the Yummie Tummie products I've tried thus far. I think next I'll have to try one of the long-sleeve tee options for layering under t-shirts for the cold winter days that are coming!

DISCOUNT: Until the end of the day tomorrow (10/31/09), save 20% off your entire purchase at Yummy Tummie with the code: YUMMIETREATS

Full disclosure: I am a Yummie Tummie brand ambassador, meaning I am given the chance to try out products from the Yummie Tummie collection for review. I was given this tank for free, with no further compensation given. All opinions expressed in this review are my own, and Yummie Tummie made no requests for anything other than an honest review.

No comments: